Islam shares Abrahamic roots with Judaism and Christianity. It teaches that Muhammad was a prophet who received Allah’s final revelations in the early 7th century. Muslims see Jews and Christians as “People of the Book”, those with sacred scriptures that have been corrupted. Only Muslims, they believe, have the uncorrupted truth.
After Muhammad took control of Mecca in 630 AD, Islam spread in all directions. Today it is the world’s second largest religion with roughly 1.9 billion followers, predominantly in North Africa, the Middle East, and South Asia.
The very translation of the word ‘Islam’—submission to God—summarizes its essence. Humans, though not inherently sinful, are susceptible to temptation. To temper this vulnerability, Muslims submit to Allah’s will.
Allah is revered as creator, supreme, all-powerful, all-knowing, and deserving of devotion. Muslims hope, but are not assured, to attain paradise by believing in Allah’s revelations to the prophets and living them. These are manifested in good deeds, moral behavior, and the Five Pillars of Faith, requirements for Muslims that include a declaration of faith, prayer, charity, fasting, and the Hajj, or one-time pilgrimage to Mecca.
While Islam is growing faster in percentage than any other major world religion, Jesus continues to lovingly reveal himself to seeking hearts.
Proverbs 8:17 – “I love those who love me, and those who seek me diligently find me.”
Please stand as we pray for Muslims to be awakened to the truth of Jesus.
- Pray for God to give us a heart filled with love and compassion towards Muslims.
- Pray that Christians’ lives would be loving witnesses to their Muslim neighbors.
- Pray for Muslims to encounter Jesus Christ through visions, dreams, and faithful witnesses.
- Pray for courage and perseverance to follow Jesus when it means loss of family, future, and even life.
- Pray for all efforts to silence the Gospel to instead propel it across the Muslim world.
- Pray for followers of Islam to have a full revelation of the true God and His loving character (Hebrews 8:8-9).
- Pray for them to get saved, be convicted of sin and know true repentance.
- Pray for the Holy Spirit to bring exposure to the Word and understanding to those who read it.
- Pray that Muslim converts to Christianity may be able to share the freedom they found in Christ with those around them, and find community with fellow believers.
- Pray that God would send more believers to live and work alongside Muslims, and that their daily lives would reflect God’s attractive grace. “In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven” (Matthew 5:16).
PRAYER: Gracious and Loving God, we know that in You all things are possible. Knowing this, we lift up to You the followers of Islam. We ask that You open their hearts to believe in Jesus. Into Your hands we place our hope and prayers, that You will reveal Your love to them and welcome them into Your family of believers.
May their hearts be like fertile soil, ready to receive and nurture the seeds of faith. Only You can save them, Lord. Please help them see their need for a Savior, to know they must confess their sins, repent, believe and live a fruitful life. Help them choose Your mercy and Your gift of grace, to believe with their hearts and confess with their mouths, Jesus is Lord.
We also pray for all those around the world who do not know You and have no one praying for them. We ask Your Holy Spirit to descend upon them and give them the wisdom to seek You.
In You, every question finds an answer, and every longing of our hearts is fulfilled. Even when we believe we desire something else, deep down, what we truly long for is You. We pray for all Christians to serve as living examples of this truth to all those who are lost and without prayers.
Please give us the courage to share with them the Gospel message and dispose their heart to hear the truth in Your Word.
And for all of these prayers, we pray in the magnificent name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen.