Acts 13 and 14 communicate one of the most pivotal stories in all of missions’ history. They relay the first recorded sending of missionaries by a local church in Scripture. Paul and Barnabas were commissioned for their particular task in a worship service, complete with singing, prayer, fasting, and the laying on of hands.
Pastor John Piper claimed of this passage, “This moment of prayer and fasting resulted in a missions movement that would make Christianity the dominant religion of the Roman Empire within two-and-a-half centuries and would yield 1.3 billion adherents of the Christian religion today with a Christian witness in virtually every country of the world.”
The people in that room in Antioch were together for a particular reason. They were not all the same, but they found themselves agreeing on a common purpose: they were united by the gospel of God, captivated in the worship of God, and intensely focused on the mission of God. In that moment, the Spirit called out two men to be sent out, and the church responded with immediate obedience. The synergy between the call of the Spirit and the prayerful response of the church resulted in a supernatural spread of the gospel that continues to this day.
Today, our prayers remain the greatest way we can support those we are sending out, invoking the very power of God to intervene in ways that are beyond our human limitations to save the lost.
2 Samuel 22:3-7 – “My God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—from violent people you save me. I called to the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and have been saved from my enemies. The waves of death swirled about me; the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me. The cords of the grave coiled around me; the snares of death confronted me. In my distress I called to the LORD; I called out to my God. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came to his ears.”
Please stand as we pray for our missionaries:
- Jessie and Mayflor Manhuyod
Missionaries in the Philippines
- Pray for wisdom and discernment to effectively proclaim the Good News of salvation to those who have yet to hear and believe.
- Pray for strength and courage to continue serving amidst challenges.
- Pray for open hearts and receptive spirits, that many Filipinos may come to know and accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.
- Jofrey and Marjorie Ornado
Missionaries in the U.A.E.
- Pray for boldness and confidence to make disciples of all nations, starting with those they encounter in the UAE.
- Pray that they be strengthened in their faith, be granted wisdom and discernment in their decision-making, and be filled with Christ’s peace and joy.
- Pray that they be surrounded with a community of believers who can provide support and encouragement during their time of service.
- Pray for the people of UAE, for open doors and receptive hearts, that they may come to know the truth and experience the transformative power of God’s grace.
- Jun and Marisol Quita
Missionaries in Palau
- Pray that they be empowered to become effective witnesses not only in Palau but also to the ends of the earth.
- Pray for their lives and ministry to bring glory to God’s name and draw people to the hope found in Jesus Christ.
- Pray for the hearts of the residents in Palau to be open to receiving God’s Word and experiencing His transformative love.
- Pray for divine appointments and opportunities for Jun & Marisol to share the gospel and make disciples among the people they serve.
- Ladislao and Adela Voluntad
Missionaries in the Philippines
- Pray wisdom, discernment, and boldness to effectively carry out the mission entrusted to them. May their ministry bear much fruit and bring glory to God’s name.
- Pray that they be strengthened in times of weariness and discouragement, provided with divine protection, good health, and courage as they navigate the challenges of their missionary life.
- Pray for God’s grace and mercy to flow abundantly among the Filipino people, touching their lives and revealing the Lord’s glory in salvation.
- Loregen Pearl Invidiado
Missionary in Japan
- Pray that she be granted wisdom and insight as she navigates the unique challenges of ministry in Japan.
- Pray for perseverance and resilience as she shares God’s truth and demonstrates His love to all those she encounters.
- Pray for God to renew her strength daily, refresh her spirit, and fill her with His peace.
- Pray for the Spirit to move powerfully among the people of Japan, breaking chains of spiritual bondage and bringing salvation to many. May the Lord pour out His love and grace to them, opening their hearts to receive the message of hope found in Jesus Christ.
- Lorena Cardenas
Missionary in the Philippines
- Pray that she be granted divine wisdom and discernment as she navigates the challenges and opportunities in her ministry.
- Pray for the protection of her physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being. May she also find rest and refreshment in God’s holy presence.
- Pray for revival and the outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon our nation, breaking down barriers and illuminating our hearts with Christ’s love and grace.
- Pray for God’s kingdom to be firmly established and to flourish in our country.
- Luther and Zarla Yap
Missionaries in Hong Kong
- Pray that they be granted wisdom and discernment as they equip and empower others to carry on the work of spreading the Gospel.
- Pray for their hearts and minds to be strengthened as they invest in the lives of the local believers, mentoring and raising up future leaders. May their ministry have a lasting impact on the Kingdom of God.
- Pray for God to pour out His love and mercy upon the people of Hong Kong, bringing peace and unity amidst the many challenges they face. May the Lord open doors for the Gospel to penetrate their hearts and transform lives.
- Luzviminda Barro
Missionary in Japan
- Pray for God’s grace and favor to encompass her as she faithfully ministers in her assigned area.
- Pray that she be granted wisdom and discernment as she navigates cultural differences, language barriers, and the challenges of sharing the Gospel in Japan.
- Pray for the Lord to strengthen the Christian churches in Japan and provide opportunities for the Gospel to be proclaimed in ways that resonate with the Japanese culture. May He also bring hope, restoration, and salvation to those in need, and may the nation be transformed by His redeeming power.
- Tad and Vickie Natividad
Missionaries in East Asia
- Pray for them to continually declare the Lord’s steadfast love and faithfulness to the people they serve. May they be a living testimony of God’s unwavering commitment and may their ministry bear much fruit for His Kingdom.
- Pray for their protection against cultural and spiritual obstacles and for divine appointments that will lead many to salvation.
- Pray that they be granted strength, wisdom, and perseverance as they navigate the challenges and joys of their missionary journey.
- Pray for the hearts of the people to be open to the Gospel, that they may experience the transformative power of God’s love and grace.
- Maricel Panaga
Missionary in Cambodia
- Pray that she will fully delight in the Lord’s will and boldly proclaim His faithfulness to the people of Cambodia. May she continue to be an inspiration and catalyst for God’s transformative work in the lives of those she encounters.
- Pray that she be filled with the Holy Spirit, fueled by unwavering faith, and be surrounded by the Lord’s protection and provision.
- Pray spiritual openness among the Cambodians, that hearts may be softened and made receptive to the message of hope, love, and salvation. May they experience the life-changing power of a personal relationship with Christ.
Source: https://www.facebook.com/CAMACOPMissions/; (October 15 to 24)
PRAYER: Loving Father, we pray for all missionaries – that they will be protected spiritually, and be able to minister effectively despite spiritual attacks. We pray for their prayer life and spiritual growth. We pray that their financial needs will be met in a timely manner, so they can focus on the needs of their ministries. We pray that they would develop the gifts You have given them, and that they will have a positive testimony in their communities and with their neighbors.
We also pray for times of refreshment. Just as Elijah needed time away to refresh himself physically, spiritually, emotionally, and mentally after doing battle with the priests of Baal, our missionaries need regular time away as well from their ministries, to recharge so they can minister effectively.
Almighty God, we also pray that You will keep us on our knees in praise, thankfulness, and supplication for unbelievers the world over. As we see news stories about Your church being persecuted, as we meet unbelievers, and as we consider our unbelieving loved ones, prick our hearts and consciences to immediately pray for them. Help us to be salt and light in this lost and dying world.
We plead for Your gracious mercy on all unbelievers today and ask that You would snatch them from the jaws of evil and bring them to saving faith in Christ. All these we ask in His precious name, Amen.