Prayer journal no. 20 vol. 2
World Suicide Prevention Day is commemorated every year on September 10, which was Friday last week, to raise awareness on how we can go about helping people with suicidal thoughts. Suicide is one of the most tragic and devastating ways to leave the world behind, but it can be prevented.
Based on a report from the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA), suicide incidents rose by 57% in 2020 compared to pre-pandemic years. This prompted government officials to make an appeal to churches and spiritual leaders in the country to provide counsel and guidance to their followers to ease their anxiety and help save them from ‘self-destruction’ during the pandemic.
Read more here.
As suicide cases continue to rise in 2021, the efforts of the church are clearly not enough. We all have to make a concerted effort to spread hope to those suffering from untreated mental health conditions.
May they find encouragement from Psalm 9:9-10, which says:
“The Lord will also be a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble; and those who know Your name will put their trust in You, for You, Lord, have not abandoned those who seek You.”
1. Pray for God’s comfort to be upon those in despair, that He will turn their thoughts from negativity to confident hope.
2. Pray for the Lord to grant them the motivation to seek out family’s and friend’s help and that they will take necessary steps for them to overcome the symptoms of depression and other mental illnesses.
3. Pray for them to overcome the crippling fear and anxiety that threatens to overwhelm them; in place of the fear, may the peace of the Holy Spirit fill their hearts and minds.
4. Pray for them to commit their problems to the Lord and learn to trust firmly in His care and provision.
5. Pray for them to recognize their need, believe life can be better, and find people who can truly help.
6. Pray for the Lord’s provision of healing and recovery, whether through medical intervention or social engagement or both; that they will be restored to soundness of mind and body.
7. Pray for them to turn to the Lord in prayer for their hope, peace, and strength, and may their joy be complete as they obey His Word and rest on His promises.
8. Pray that we will be sensitive to the needs of others and for the Lord to grant us wisdom to deal with those struggling with mental illness and that we will be a blessing that shines bright for them in the Lord’s Name.